Monday, September 24, 2007

Last Medical Post for Awhile

Why is it impossible to get ahold of your own medical records? I have records at 6 clinics...given what is going on it is essential that I get them. One clinic wants to charge me 1 dollar per page. Another said it may take 20 business days becuase they are 'off site'. Most act like it is a HUGE favor that they'd consider letting this leave their office... I mean after all it is only a matter of life and death and how dare I ask a file clerk somewhere to risk a papercut for me?!? I'm as lazy as the next person... nah- more lazy, but even I would take notice if a cancer patient called and asked for their records becuase further treatment was needed. The one that really got me though was the one that argued with me that I was giving her an incorrect phone number. Uh- no Phoenix IS 602... not everyone lives in Minnapolis's 612 area code. Red tape- the true American Way!

4 comments:

hobbitsister said...

apparently you have no right to know what your medical history is.

chelleybutton said...

that's ridiculous... the government (and department of education;) make their rules but have no idea how it actually plays out and how annoying it is... 20 days?! I get my shoes from Zappos in a 4th of that! and this is an emergency! completely ridiculous... (I'll pray you get everything you need somehow!)

BusyMommy said...

He gave it up and just signed forms stating his doctor could talk to them if he needed to. We just couldn't afford to pay hundreds of dollars for them, especially not when we don't know how much his chemo (if he has to have it) is going to cost. Sigh...

chelleybutton said...

that is sigh-worthy, sheesh...